Sunday, November 29, 2009

How can I change my start-up order so my Internet connection is first?

I have an HP Pavilion desktop tower system connected to the Internet via cable modem (always-on fibre-optic connection). I use Win XP, SP2, updated. Unlike my old DSL, it can take 3-5 minutes to make a connection in IE. If I try to access the Internet before that, IE will hang or tell me the page cannot be found. Eventually, the connection is made, although I have had occasions where the problem persisted and I had to reboot at least once.



I have a large number of programs that search for updates at startup (HP, Java, Adobe, QuickTime, etc), plus others that are necessary to run the system. I've turned off as many as I can and still have the system boot properly, but the problem persists.



In DOS, this could be solved by reordering AUTOEXEC.BAT, and I think even LINUX/UNIX has a way to control the sequence of initial start-ups. Does anyone know of a way to alter XP so that my Internet connection is made first, and all other activity happens after the connection is made? THANKS!



How can I change my start-up order so my Internet connection is first?windows vista ultimate



Open IE and go into tools-%26gt;internet options-%26gt;connections tab-%26gt;LAN settings



From there, un-check the box that says automatically detect settings.



Hope that does it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
computer repair